Military Jobs and Careers - Transportation Managers
The military records a huge yearly transport of personnel as well as materials across the US and other parts of the globe where their interests are in. Part of the transport system in the military includes trucks, ships, buses, vans, aircraft and trains. The Transportation managers are the lead group as far transporting of peronnel by water, air and land.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Transportation managers in the military organization include:
• Identify the fastest mode of transport when transporting personnel and cargoes
• Spearhead in the packing of cargoes as well as crating
• Lead in the loading of cargoes and passengers
• Conduct scheduling of shipment ensuring fast deliveries of cargoes and personnel
• Make schedule on delivery of personnel as well as pick up of cargoes
• Make coordination when cargoes arrive according to the fast means of delivery by air, sea and land
• Make coordination with official shipping companies in other countries where bases are present
• Manage the handling of and distribution of explosives, medicines and other items
• Check whether papers of cargoes to be transported are not having problems
The field of study which is helpful in thie kind of job in the military includes operation research, as well as supply management. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Excellent skills in dealing with difficult situations
• Excellent skills in helping others succeed through coaching
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training programs. Other course contents that are also ideal are:
• Basics in transportation management
• Working with civilians and military personnel
• Basic procedures in freight classification
• Better understanding of federal laws and other military policies
• Basic procedures in handling, explosives, medicines ad other items
The Transportation managers in the military work in depots, cargo and passenger terminals.
The civilian Transportation Managers in the military work in shipping firms, railroad companies, trucking, and bus lines. Their duties and responsibilities are only the same with that of the military.