Military Jobs and Careers - Food Service Specialists
Since over a million meals are served in military mess halls and kitchens the organization has to hire the services of Food Service Specialists to meet the demand. Food service specialists are responsible in the preparation of all types of menu according to nutrition standards. They are considered enlisted personnel in the military organization.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Food service specialists in the military organization include:
• Make bulk orders of fish, meat, vegetables fruits and keep receipt of orders
• Use knives, bandsawa and cleavers to make standard cuts of fishes and meat
• Direct in the chopping, roasting and cooking of various types of menus
• Direct in the frying of chicken, fish and turkey
• Spearhead in the preparation of food in military kitchens and dining halls
• Direct the serving of food in military kitchens and aboard ships
• Clean pots, mixers, stoves, ovens and other kitchen utensils
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes accounting, chemistry, mathematics and home economics. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm in health and nutrition as well as cooking
• Enthusiasm in doing work using bare hands as well as other kitchen tools and utensils
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training programs including food preparation practice. Other course contents that are also helpful include:
• Basics in food cooking as well as health and nutrition
• Spearhead in preparation of bakery products and food for the officers, soldiers and all other people inside military bases
• Ordering of food supplies as well as food storage practice
• Storage of perishable goods as well as meat and poultry products
The Food service specialists in the military work in kitchens, mess halls in military bases and on board ships. They also travel to other military bases when the need arises.
The civilian Food service specialists work in hotels, cafeterias, restaurants and other food services establishments. Their duties and responsibilities are also the same with that of the military.