Military Jobs and Careers -
Food Service Managers
Hundreds of thousand members in the military are served with food everyday. The preparation as well as the planning on what to prepare everyday needs the expertise of Food Service Managers that is why they are also hired by the organization. In fact, the Food service managers are considered Officers in the military chain of command. They are responsible in carefully planning for food ensuring that proper nutrition is part of the planning and preparations.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Food service managers in the military organization include:
• Carefully supervise the prepration of food such as cooking, nutrition planning as well as until the food are served at mess halls
• Direct the supervision at dining halls so that careful handling of food as well as food services among the food crews are achieved
• Carefully determine the needed utensils and other equipment at dining halls so that problems, if there are, are minimized
• Implement standards in food preparation as well as how they are stored
• Carefully plan for the mail of its personnel and officers each day
• Ensure that sanitary standards in service areas where food are served
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes business management and nutrition. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm about topics such as food nutrition and food preparation
• Enthusiasm in helping others succeed in their endeavors
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training programs. However, there is no such training in the military. The kind of training maybe obtained outside of the military institution.
The Food service managers in the military work in office during planning and also in cooking areas and mess halls.
The civilian Food service managers work in hotels, restaurants, and all other food service establishments. Their duties and functions are also the same with that of the military.
Back to: All Military Jobs - Personal and Culinary Services Military Jobs