Military Jobs and Careers - Ship and Submarine Officers
The military has organized the ships and submarines according to departments including communications, engineering, supply and weapons. These four department’s team members are Ship and submarine officers who are considered Officers in the organization. The ship and submarine officers manage various departments on board the vessels.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Ship and submarine officers in the military organization include:
• Direct in commanding all types of military vessels in coastal waters or even at sea
• Spearhead in managing and planning of the departments under the direct supervision of the captains
• Spearhead in training exercises including damage control, aircraft operations and target practice, as well as searching for enemy ships and sea crafts
• Conduct evaluations on subordinates as well as recommend them for promotions if needed to encourage them to perform more
• Spearhead in conducting search and rescue operations
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the miltary includes mathematics, oceanography, engineering and computer science. Other helpful attribues also include:
• Excellent skills in organizing and helping others perform well
• Enthusiasm in living at sea as well as sailing as part of the job and chosen profession
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal military training programs like communications, engineering, administration, deck, weapons, and air. Other course contents that are also ideal subject matters are:
• Supervision and management of small and large vessels
• Navigational techniques and actual piloting of ships
The Ship and submarine officers in the military work on board vessels whether small or large vessels. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Ship and submarine officers work in tanker firms, and private maritime companies. Their duties and responsibilities are just the same with that of the military.