The military has invested millions of dollars in ships to promote its naval power. In order to prolonged the services of its naval fleet the military also hired the services of Ship Engineers. They are considered Officers in the organization that are responsible for the maintenance and operation of ship engines as well as repair malfunctioning units. They also direct power generation and shipboard heating.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Ship Engineers in the military organization include:
• Lead in operating the engine room for sea vessels powered with diesel
• Directly supervise the team that maintain electrical generators which are responsible in supplying the lights, equipment and weapons
• Supervise crews that maintain air conditioning systems as well as heating plants
• Supervise crews that maintain propulsion systems and ship transmission
• Lead crews in the repairs of malfunctioning engines
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes electrical, civil and mechanical engineering. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm in learning for machines and engines is necessary so that easy understanding of the job is expected
• Enthusiasm in helping others perform their best and produce satisfactory results
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training programs. Course contents that are also useful subject matters include:
• Maintenance and inspection of fuel systems, electrical systems and marine engines
• Maintenance and operation involving power plants so that prolonged life of these plants can be expected
The Ship engineers in the military work ship deck and on board ships. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Ship engineers work in commercial shipping companies, commercial fishing vessels owned by canning companies as well some government agencies. Their duties and functions are only the same with that of the military.