Drug prescriptions are primarily the expertise of Pharmacists although doctors also prescribed medicines good for patients. The Pharmacists are considered Officers in the military chain of command. They do manage medicine purchases, dispensing as well as storing of these medicines.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Pharmacists in the military include:
• Give counsel and manage pharmacy technicians in the proper dispensing of drugs and medicines to military members
• Give advise to physicians on the side effects medicines may bring to humans with out taking care of the given prescriptions
• Conduct training among medical practitioners such as nurses and pharmacy staff on the proper use of drugs
• Conduct researches on medicines and drugs program
• Conduct reorder of medicines when necessary after though checking
• Records pharmacy research as well as new developments
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes:
• Enthusiasm in the study of medical formulas so that efficiency in the execution of job performance can be enhanced
• Enthusiasm in learning the effects of drugs to the human body
• Enthusiasm in working on detailed specifications which help in the clear understanding of the task at hand
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are helpful training programs. However, there is no available training for this in the military. Training programs can be attended outside of the military.
The Pharmacists in the military work in clinics and military hospitals. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Pharmacists work in pharmacy stores, government and private hospitals, and in some home care facilities. Their duties and responsibilities are also the same with that of the military. Many pharmacists ended as business persons by involving themselves in selling medicines and putting up their pharmacy business.