Military Jobs and Careers - Transportation Maintenance Managers
The Transportation Maintenance Managers are considered Officers in the military chain of command. They are responsible in supervising maintenance check up schedules for carriers such as trucks, aircrafts, ships and buses. They directly supervise maintenance personnel so that efficiency in the job can be enhanced.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Transportation Maintenance Managers in the military include:
• Manage repair shops as well maintenance activities in jobsites and garage
• Make suitable schedules for maintenance staff so that activities of military personnel would not be disrupted in the process
• Manage and oversee the schedule of ordering replacement parts to ensure that genuine parts are bought for the benefit of the military
• Manage and oversee reporting of maintenance records and reporting
• Set policies and procedures so that productivity and efficiency will be achieved
• Make plans for suitable staff training
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes transportation management, business administration and vehicle maintenance. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm in developing good programs for productivity enhancements
• Enthusiasm in helping others make efficient job output
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related job are helpful attributes. Other helpful subject matters include:
• Aircraft maintenance management including electronics
• Good equipment maintenance procedures
• Basics in management information
The Transportation maintenance managers in the military work in garages, machine shops and maintenance yards. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Transportation maintenance managers work in bus companies, airlines, industrial and manufacturing firms, aircraft builders, trucking services companies, auto manufacturing firms and other selected private and government offices that needs vehicle maintenance services on their vehicles. Their duties and functions are also the same with that of the military.