The Military installs power generating stations in all its bases all over the globe to ensure that electric power for field camps, ships including the bases have enough power supply. To effectively ensure that power generators are working normally the organization also hires the services of Powerhouse mechanics. They are responsible in taking care of all generators whether big or small ones. They are considered enlisted personnel in the chain of command.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Powerhouse mechanics in the military organization include:
• Build generating equipment like turbines, air compressors, and diesel and gasoline powered generators
• Spearhead in the maintenance and repair of power plants
• Conduct inspection of batteries, cables, pumps and generators
• Monitor engines using power hand tools, and pressure gauges
• Troubleshoot and inspect electrical problems and engines
• Ensure replacement of malfunctioning parts such as pistons, injectors and valves
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military organization includes math and shop mechanics. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm in the operation of nuclear power plants
• Enthusiasm in maintaining and repairs of equipment and machines
• Readiness for physical strenuous works
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training program. Other helpful subject matters also include:
• Basic principles and procedures in electricity
• Basic theories in diesel engine operations
• Basic maintenance in hydraulic and air pressure systems
The Power house mechanics in the military work in machine shops and power plant facilities. They also travel in military bases when the need arises.
The civilian Powerhouse mechanics work in factories, colleges and universities, hospitals, large industrial and manufacturing companies, electric companies, and water services companies. Their duties and responsibilities are only the same with that of the military.