The military has been operating power plants to generate electricity for their submarines, ships and many other uses in different military bases all over the globe. To take efficient control of power plants the organization employed the services of Power Plant Operators. They are considered enlisted personnel in the military and their re responsible on the control of power generating plants. They control and operate nuclear reactors, turbines, boilers and portable.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Power plant operators in the military organization include:
• Regulate and control power plants by properly monitoring the control boards and the system
• Take charge in maintaining diesel-powered generators
• Direct the control and supervision of nuclear reactors that gives enough power supplies to submarines and ships
• Take charge in maintaining air compressors, generators, and steam engines
• Take charge in maintaining and monitoring auxiliary equipment
• Conduct routine inspection on malfunctioning equipment parts
• Direct the operation of steam turbines
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes shop mechanics and mathematics. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm on the operation of nuclear power
• Enthusiasm on learning about large machineries
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are helpful training attributes. Other course contents which are also helpful for the job include:
• Basics and procedures in operating pressure boilers
• Basics and processes on operating and maintaining reactor controls
• Nuclear systems basic operation and maintenance
The Power plants operators work in power plants and machine shops inside military bases. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Power plant operators work in manufacturing and industrial companies, power plant companies, colleges and universities, and factories. Their duties and functions are only the same with that in the military.