Military Jobs and Careers - Power Plant Electricians
Power Plant Electricians are considered enlisted personnel in the military. They maintain the conduct repair activities on stationery power plants as well as generating equipment. Since all the military bases must also have a dependable supply of electricity.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Power Plant technicians in the military chain of command include:
• Take charge in the maintenance of generators, switchboards, motors and other control equipment powered with electricity
• Take charge in the maintenance of electrical fixtures, lighting circuits
• Find and detect grounds, short circuits, and distribution cables
• Study and read diagrams to locate the areas where the damaged parts are located
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes electrical theory, mathematics, and technical drawing. Other helpful attributes also include:
• Excellent skills in using with bare hands as well as hand power tools
• Enthusiasm in learning with electricity
• Enthusiasm in working with electrical parts and machinery
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs maintaining power systems. Course contents which are also ideal for training include:
• Basics in power plants and generator operations so that repairs would be made easy
• Procedures and basic in electric power generation so that reliability can be achieved
• Maintenance of diesel generator, disassembly and inspection
• Basics and procedures in electronic circuitry so that easy understanding of how it works can be learned
The Power plant electricians work in machine shops inside military bases. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Power plant electricians work in industrial and manufacturing plants, electrical companies, construction companies, and colleges and universities. Their duties and functions are only similar with that of the military.