Military Jobs and Careers -
Welders and Metal Workers
In the military, one of their major building materials is sheet metal. The military use it in majority of its construction projects. Even tanks, aircraft and ships are made of heavy metal armor. Using sheet metal as building material needs the expertise of Welders and metal workers. That is why these workers were also hired by the military. They are responsible in installing sheet metal products roofs, gutters, ducts and vents. They are also considered enlisted personnel in the organization.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Welders and Metal workers in the military include:
• Conduct welding and sodering of metal parts during installation or repair
• Conduct repair on ship parts as well as automotive using welding rod and iron and other hand power tools
• Make sure their works are measured by calipers, rulers and micrometers
The field of study which is helpful in thie kind of job in the military include industrial arts and automechanics. Other useful attributes also include:
• Enthusiasm in working with various tools so that performance is set at higher level
• Readiness to strenous physical work required by the job
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training attributes. Course contents which are also helpful include:
• Basics in working with sheet metal as well duct works
• Basics in cutting of sheet metal, heat treating and brazing
• Care and maintenance of soldering, brazing equipment and welding
The Welders and Metal workers in the military work in machine shops, metalworking shops and aircraft hangars. They also travel in other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian welders and metal workers are employed in metalworking companies, industrial and manufacturing companies, auto manufacturing companies, shipyards, pipeline companies and marine servicing companies.
Back to: All Military Jobs - Mechanic Military Jobs