The military organization also practices the systems of laws and courts to prosecute personnel that committed blatant violations as well as defending them in court battles. The Judge Advocate General (JAG) leads the administering of activities within the military judicial system.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Lawyers and Judges in the military chain of command include:
• Advice personnel patents, contracts, government real estate, trademarks, and commercial contracts
• Make pre-trial advice to military personnel put under court martial proceedings
• Perform duties such as judge, prosecuting lawyer, and defense attorney
• Make legal documents like will and testaments, as well as power of attorney
• Make interpretations of court decisions, directives and regulations
• Spearhead in presiding cases in court, using military justice code
• Train military personnel to become new lawyers
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes:
• Excellent skills in public speaking
• Excellent skills in effective and concise writing
• Preference in giving details on specific programs
• Responsive to the needs of people in the military as well as in the community
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal programs for training. Other helpful attributes also includes:
• Procedures and regulations in military trial
• Topics on the appreciation and proper use of the military code as far as the military judicial system is concerned
• Strategies and methods how to obtain evidence during the course of court battles
• Techniques and strategies in court martial
The Lawyers and Judges in the military work in offices. They also travel to other military installations when the need arises.
The civilian Lawyers and Judges work in private and government offices as legal counsels, manufacturing and industrial firms, corporate offices, colleges and universities, regional trial courts, supreme courts and other private law firms. Their duties are only similar with that of the military.