Military Jobs and Careers - International Relations Officers
The military needs the services of International Relations Officers so that the national leadership of our country knows who are our allied countries and those who are also unfriendly countries. The International Relations Officers make necessary efforts to be able to gather vital information to be able to know the strengths and weaknesses of friendly and those that are not.
The usual duties and responsibilities of International Relations Officers in the military chain of command include:
• Gather vital information about the strength of foreign military forces
• Conduct dialogues and special meetings to both foreign military and government officials
• Evaluate social, economic, political matters of foreign countries
• Make evaluation and analysis of foreign political activities
• Give infornation and advice commanders about scenarios in foreign countries
• Spearhead acitivities designed at conducting psychological operations, predictions of human behaviors, and to accomplish national and military objectives
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes international affairs, political science and history. Other helpful subject matters also include:
• Excellent skills in clearly expressing thought, ideas and good plans
• Excellent skills in intel gathering locally and internationally
• Enthusiasm in working overseas
• Enthusiasm in coordinating with people in the military and in the community
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training programs for the job. Other course contents also include:
• Awareness in political and cultural activities of people in foreign countries
• Foreign cultural awareness
• Expertise in foreign relations
• Diplomatic missions activities and total functions
The International Relations Officers work in office in the US territories as well as in other mission areas.
The civilian International Relations Officers work in government agencies as well as the Department of Justice including in many US embassies of the world. Their work maybe similar with that of the military in other matters.