Military Jobs and Careers -
Interpreters and Translators
The Interpreters and Translators are enlisted personnel in the military organization. They are responsible in the translation and interpretation of foreign langauge newspapers, magazines and other translations needed to protect the organization. They convert foreign language to English translations so that everybody can understand especially if it matters national interests.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Interpreters and Translators in the military include:
• Execute translation of foreign information to English language so that everybody in the organization can understand specially if it matters national security
• Conduct interviews on prisoners of war in their own language, civilian informers as well as enemy deserters
• Make a record of foreign radio communications using sophisticated and sensitive equipment
• Make a report of the information gathered from foreign communications
• Make translations of foreign documents involving personnel records and battle plans
• Make translations of foreign books describing construction techniques and foreign equipment
• Maintain sensitive equipment used in gathering of foreign communications
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes:
• Enthusiasm in reading important documents as well as writing summaries of these documents to obtain reliable records of information
• Enthusiasm in coordinating and working with people in the military and the community
• Excellent skills for foreign languages
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience in related jobs are ideal training for the job. Course contents which are also helpful attributes include:
• Methods in interrogation and questioning
• Control and usage of communication facilities
• Strategies and procedures in making reports and other document writing
The Interpreters and Translators in the military work in offices. However they also travel to other military bases when the need arise.
The civilian Interpreters and Translators work in private companies which have branches in many parts of the globe, and colleges and universities. Their works are similar with that of the military.
Back to: All Military Jobs - International Relations Military Jobs