To effectively provide the services of military physicians the organization also hired the services of Physician assistants whose job is primarily to assist the license physician. They are also considered Officers in the military and they are responsible in doing diagnosis and examination of patients in close coordination with medical doctors.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Physician Assistance in the military organization include:
• Take patients medical histories by conducting interviews and keep them in computer files as well as indexes for easy references of the physician
• Conducts examination as well as collect specimens for laboratory
• Lead patients by encouraging them to undergo x-rays and physical examination
• Give advise to patients on diet and health control programs, and other important tests and examinations
• Provide emergency treatment especially when the doctor is not available
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes:
• The skills to express what is in mind to be able to develop worthwhile programs
• Willingness to understand and help the need of others especially in the performance of duty
• Enough patience to understand clients who healing process take longer periods of time
• Skills to remain cool in times of difficulties and stressful works
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience on related subject matters which includes:
• Procedures in fundamental medical care
• The basics in behavioral science
• Strategies in health care administration
The Physician Assistants in the military work in military bases hospitals in various military installations. They also travel to other military bases when the job calls for travel.
The civilian Physician Assistants work in private and government hospitals, big corporations, home care facilities, boarding schools. Their jobs are only the same with that of the military.