Military Jobs and Careers -
All types of warfare in the military such as missiles, ammunitions, chemical munitions, guns and other armaments are called Ordnance in the military terminology. The Ordnance Officers are responsible in making decisions especially purchase of these weapons, storage, handling, disposal, maintenance and use.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Ordnance Officers in the military chain of command include:
• Spearhead in the inspection of repair and maintenance of weapons
• Keep the lead in the storage, handling, maintenance disposal of ammos, explosives, and missiles
• Report contamination discovered in nuclear, chemical and biological weapons
• Spearhead in loading and unloading of weapons on ships, aircraft and other available transport systems
• Give instructions on ordnance personnel in the proper handling, loading and unloading of weapons, explosives and missiles
The field of study which is helpful in this kind of job in the military includes:
• The skills to remain cool in times of stressful and difficult situations
• The ability to work on details
• Must have good organizational and leadership skills
Classroom instructions as well as actual experience can be good attributes for training in this kind of job. Course contents which are also helpful include:
• Basics in handling of ordnance, storage and transportation
• Basics in repairs, maintenance and weapons systems
• Training on aiming as well as disarming techniques is also vital for the job
• Basics in disposal of ordnance, missiles, explosives and other weapons
• Detection of chemical and nuclear weapons
The Ordnance Officers usually work in outdoors to keep the need for weapons and explosives of the military bases. They work in all whether conditions.
Actually in the civilian world there is no equivalent of the job except that their training programs can be utilized and used in daily lives. Their experience in handling of waste materials and disposal can also work in normal people just like the lives of the civilians.
However, their expertise in bomb disposal, and explosives control and identification are similar to that of the bomb disposal experts in the police organization.
Back to: All Military Jobs - Environmental Military Jobs