Military Jobs and Careers - Meteorological Specialists
The meteorological Specialists are enlisted personnel in the military organization. They are responsible in collecting data on sea and weather conditions. This, as weather and sea conditions information for military operations. The military needs accurate weather forecasts before it could plan troop movements, ship and plane flights. The Meteorological specialists record data gathered from radars scans, satellite photographs and weather equipment.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Meteorological Specialists in the military include:
• Install weather balloons to gather information about weather direction and speed
• Know exactly amount of cloud cover, types of clouds, and cloud heights
• Record readings of sea conditions, temperature, humidity and barometric pressures
• Use most sophisticated radio equipment that clearly receives satellite data
• Graph and plot weather information
• Gives weather forecast based on observations and data gathered from various equipment
The field of study which is helpful in enhancing knowledge includes physical science, mathematics, and geography. Other helpful attributes also includes:
• The skills to effectively communicate
• Enthusiasm in gathering weather information and data through the use of various equipment
• Enthusiasm in understanding the changes in weather conditions
• Enthusiasm in understanding mathematical formulas, labels, tables and all related information
Classroom instructions as well as actual experiences in work-related jobs are helpful training programs. Other helpful subject matters for training also include:
• Basics in meteorology and oceanography
• Basics in carefully plotting weather data gathered everyday
• Analyzing satellite weather data as well as radar information
• Weather reports preparation
The Meteorological Specialists in the military chain of command work in offices and in satellite and other areas where their equipment are installed. They also work outdoor occasionally when gathering information and launch the weather balloons.
The civilian Meteorological Specialists work in weather forecasting companies run by the government, radio and TV stations, and commercial airlines.