Military Jobs and Careers - Caseworkers and Counsellors
The military chain of command has also some members who are faced with problems in their families, alcohol and substance abuse, career decisions and other emotional problems. These concerns in the organization are also attended by the special department of Caseworkers and Counselors who are enlisted personnel in the military. These professionals in the military deal with these problems and other concerns of military personnel.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Case workers and Counselors in the military organization include:
• Conduct case studies and interview personnel having certain problems and other emotional concerns
• Make sure to identify their problems and offer solutions and guidance to those referred to their office
• Gives good counsel to military personnel as well as their families
• Conduct psychological tests among military personnel
• Assist military personnel by evaluating their chosen careers
• Records the result of case study and counseling session
The field of study which is helpful in the job includes psychology, social science, speech and biology. Other helpful subjects also include:
• The ability to deal with people having emotional and psychological problems
• Enough patience in dealing with individuals for a period of time during counseling and emotional healing sessions
• Understanding to the needs of clients who are having problems
Classroom instructions as well as ideal counseling practice are good training ground for the enhancement of counseling knowledge. Other helpful topics also include:
• Proper orientation and practice on counseling procedures
• Basics in proper interviewing and counseling of clients
• Proper treatment and dealing procedures on victims of alcohol and substance abuse
• Proper techniques in counseling and handling of clients
The Case workers and Counselors work in offices in military bases as well as on board ships.
The Case Workers and Counselors who are civilians work in counseling clinics, psychological clinics, and private and government human resource offices.