Military Jobs and Careers - Medical Record Technicians
Medical Record Technicians are enlisted personnel in the military. They keep records of patients such as diagnosis, treatment, test results, and other accurate information which maybe needed by the physicians as the need arises.
The usual duties and responsibilities of Medical Record Technicians in the military’s chain of command include:
• Take charge in the extraction of patient’s medical records and other forms while entering and leaving the premises of a military medical facilities
• Take charge in assigning the patients treatment room
• Make report daily of the patient admitted in the hospital and during discharge
• Take charge in maintaining the patient’s medical records
• Make report about the result of examinations of the patient
• Make recordings of medical records and other publications
The fields of specialization which are helpful for this kind of job in the military include business administration and general sciences. Other helpful attributes include:
• Good communication skills
• Enthusiasm in the use of office equipment such as computers, and other office machines necessary in the actual performance of duty
• Enthusiasm in work that requires focus and details
Classroom instructions on specific topics for this job are ideals. Course content which is also helpful includes:
• Excellent skills in computer operation and data encoding
• Good approach to medical terminologies
• Maintenance of the patient’s medical records as well as in the preparation of this records
• Keeping abreast of these medical records including electronic storage so that it can be accessed anytime when needed
Medical Record Technicians in the military organization work in military clinics and hospitals including military ships when the need arises.
Civilian medical record technicians work in private and government-owned hospitals. They also perform their duties and responsibilities in clinics and health centers. Their functions are also the same with that of the medical records technicians in the military.