Flight engineers are enlisted personnel in the military organization all over the globe. They ensure safety of the plane by inspecting all the functionalities of the plane before take off. They are also part of the team aboard the plane during flying. They are much knowledgeable in technical problem analysis as well as fixing problems the plane may encounter during flying schedules.
The usual duties and functions of the Flight Engineers in the military organization include:
• Implement inspection of the aircraft before take off in order t o help ensure safety of the plane crew while on flying schedules.
• Take charge in the monitoring of the number of passengers to avoid overloading, cargo handling and fuel.
• Help the pilot in maintaining start up of the engine as well as shutting it down.
• In charge in the computation of fuel consumption, fuel distribution and weight.
• Keep tract of the monitoring of engine instruments and other controls based on the pilots instructions.
• Keep checking of electrical, fuel and pressure and other functionalities of the plane during flight missions.
• Keep informing the pilot if there are problems in the aircraft and advise corrective measures.
Field of study, which maybe of help to flight engineers, may include shop mechanics and general mathematics. Other helpful ones include:
• The ability to become part of the team to ensure teamwork.
• The skills in working for mechanical systems.
• Exceptional skills on reading diagrams and equipment manuals.
• Enthusiasm in flying is very important.
Classroom instruction is very important for this kind of job especially on flying related courses. Content of the training may include:
• Aircraft systems operation which is very vital for the engineers.
• Proper checking on aircraft engines, systems and structures.
• Recording and logs are also important for training for flight engineers.
Flight engineers in the military work in specified airbases all over the globe. They fly their planes in cold and hot climates and ready themselves in flying for different whether conditions.
Civilian flight engineers work in cargo and passenger companies. In the military, the flight engineers work in air bases and maybe onboard air carriers. Their job is only similar to each other.